Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Offline

Have not posted for a while. But given no-one reads this shit, so I can get away with it.

The main reason / excuse is my internet phone connection was cut off. Initially just my phone. Nothing to do with paying for the line - I always pay on time. Indeed, no explanation ever given. Just a combination of probably; 6 phone calls, 1 hour waiting on hold, 3 different excuses (1: It's your phone, buy another one. Eventually I did, but it wasn't that; 2) It's your ISP. Told them that it can't be because initially it was just the phone that wasn't working, 3) Something to do with the local network, which is crap because neighbours phone was working). But suddenly just started working a week later. Magic, I suspect.

But also, I'm getting a bit dis-illusioned with this blog. When I started, I believed I had something interesting to say. Wasn't sure what, but thought on a daily basis stuff would come to me. It kind of does, when you sit there and just start writing. But the prospect isn't attractive. But more importantly I've realised how difficult it is to be interesting when you don't know your audience, you don't want to give away who you are (talk about over-cautious; no-one reads it, so I think I'm pretty safe) and therefore don't want to be specific, and you can't make up your mind whether you want to try and be funny, write a diatribe about society in general or just say what you're up to. I think you have to take a pick and choose a theme to keep consistency and find a niche.

But I don't think this is going to work. Don't get me wrong - I'll keeping posting this rubbish.

What it has taught me is that there isn't a desperate level of interest by people in onland who spend their time endlessly searching for stuff to read and post on it. The opposite is true, I suspect - there's far too much crap out there to separate the wood from the trees. So if I were to start doing the more seriously, you really have to choose your angle, keep true to it, make it sharp, controversial and ensure some guys want to return (either because they like or they like to be offended).

No comments: